Fire safety

We take fire safety very seriously and we undertake regular checks to make sure your home is safe and well maintained.

There are things you can do around your home to help keep you safe from fire. 


  • If you are tired or have been drinking alcohol, try to avoid cooking – you risk falling asleep and leaving your oven on which could cause a fire.
  • Never leave your cooker unattended, ensure it is switched off if you go out.
  • Clean the grill pan after use to avoid build up of fat deposits.
  • Keep the area around the cooker clear and never leave any electrical wires or cords near the cooker.


  • Don’t leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended - take care to extinguish them in a suitable container.
  • Never smoke in bed or in a chair if you are tired – people dozing off while smoking are the most common causes of house fires. If you do feel tired, smoke outside or stand up and smoke at a window or outside door.

Before going to bed

  • Make sure you switch off and unplug any portable heaters and electrical appliances and switch off any cooking equipment.
  • Close all doors, in the event of a fire this will help stop the fire spreading and keep areas free from smoke.
  • If possible, make sure you have access to a phone – but do not charge the phone while you are sleeping.
  • Make sure any lit candles are extinguished.
  • If you have an electric blanket, switch it off when you get in bed. Check your blanket for damage like scorch marks or exposed wires. Never use an electric blanket and a hot water bottle together.

Fire safety tips

  • Have a fire escape plan – think about how you would get out the house if you were to have a fire.
  • Check your smoke alarms are working. Replace batteries if necessary. Contact Horizon if you have any concerns.
  • At night, keep a torch handy in case of a power outage and make sure the main door keys are close at hand.
  • Keep common areas and stairways clear and free from any fire hazards, please contact us if you see anything being stored or left in common areas and stairs – this could hinder your escape in the event of a fire.
  • If you have gas heating or gas appliances, you should also fit a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
  • Keep portable heaters and candles away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.


Stay Connected