Information for new tenants

We want you to settle into your new home as quickly as possible so there are a few things you will need to do!

The first thing to do is make arrangements to pay your rent - you are due to pay your rent from the day you sign your tenancy agreement.

If you are on a low income or receive benefits contact your local council to make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.  If you receive Universal Credit, contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to tell them you have moved and how much your rent is.

Within two weeks of your tenancy starting our Tenancy Sustainment Assistant will call you to check whether you need any help and to let you know about the ways we can help you get settled in. After six weeks your Housing Officer will visit you to see how you are getting on and answer any questions you may have.

Don't forget to keep your spare set of keys in a safe place - as we don't keep a spare set!

Register with an energy supplier

You are free to choose which company supplies your gas and electricity. Your Housing Officer will give you a note of the meter readings when you receive the keys for your property and you should provide these to your supplier when you register with them. 

To find out who currently supplies the property’s gas call 0870 608 1524 and for electricity call 0845 270 9101.  You should contact the supplier immediately to let them know that you would like the accounts put in your name.  This will avoid you being charged for any former tenants debts.  You may also wish to change suppliers at this time.  

We work with Citrus Energy who will help you find the best energy deals and talk you through the process to switch supplier. For more information, call 0800 221 8089 or go to their website.

Insure the contents of your home

What is home contents insurance?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

Why do I need it?

We do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement so it’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for to help you decide if you need one.

How can we help?

To help you decide if home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies.

This home contents insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

  • Ask your local housing officer for an application pack
  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7286
  • Visit to request a free call back

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

Get a TV Licence

If you have a TV you need a licence. If you don’t have one you could face a a substantial fine.   You can find out how to get a licence on their website or by calling 0300 790 6130.  There is the option make a weekly payment at any PayPoint outlet or to pay by direct debit. 

Pay your Council Tax

You should contact the local council to let them know you have moved in.  It may take some time for you to receive a council tax bill however it is a good idea to request a payment card as soon as you move in.  This will avoid any arrears building up and the council demanding large payments to make up for those that were missed.