Change of circumstance

To ensure that your tenancy rights are protected it is very important you advise us of any changes to your household.

This includes telling us about anyone who has previously moved in with you who you haven't already told us about, and when anyone moves into or out of your home in the future at the time they do so. You can do this by contacting us by phone, email, post or using the contact form on the website.

Joint tenancy

If you want to add a joint tenant to your tenancy agreement, this needs to be approved by us as your landlord. The proposed joint tenant must have lived at the property as their only or principal home for the 12 months before you apply for joint tenancy and we must have been advised that the person is living in the property.

Relationship breakdown

If your relationship with a partner breaks down and you can no longer live together (and you are joint tenants), you will have to decide who will remain in the property. If one person is the sole tenant they have the right to remain in the property whilst the other does not. 

If you are married your spouse may have rights in law if you are not a joint tenant.  Your housing officer will be able to give some advice but you can find comprehensive information and advice about your rights on the Shelter Scotland website.

Transferring the tenancy to another person

A tenancy can be transferred to another person by assignation or succession.

  • Assignation is when you transfer a tenancy to another member of your household.
  • Succession is when a tenancy is inherited when a tenant dies.

The rules about this are set out in your tenancy agreement and by law.  You cannot apply to assign a tenancy, and no person can succeed to the tenancy unless you have told us, in writing, that they are living with you and they have lived with you for more than a year.

If you want to apply to assign your tenancy to someone else please complete and return the Assignation application form.  

If you want to apply to succeed to a tenancy please complete and return the succession application form.

Ending your tenancy

If you want to end your tenancy you must let us know and give us a least 28 days notice.  You can do this in writing or by completing the Ending your tenancy form.