The benefits system is changing, which means you may not know what you are entitled to or how to make claims. 

Changes to the benefits system may affect you depending on where you live, your age (and the age of those who live with you) and the type and size of property you live in. The Tenancy Sustainment Team can offer free, confidential and impartial advice to help you navigate these changes.

Receive benefits but not yet on Universal Credit (UC)? You may be switching to UC soon!  

If this change affects you, you’ll receive a letter from DWP called a ‘Migration Notice’ – DON’T ignore this letter as it will tell you the next steps to make sure you continue to receive the benefits you are entitled to.

If you have any questions please get in touch with our Tenancy Sustainment Team.

Benefits advice

We can help you understand the changes to the benefit system caused by welfare reforms, including advice and assistance on:

  • Social security benefits and tax credits
  • Under-occupancy (bedroom tax)
  • Benefit cap
  • Job start payment

The following are just some of the benefits we can help you with:

  • Universal Credit
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Scottish Welfare Fund
  • Tax Credits
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods
  • Funeral Support Payment
  • Young Carer Grant
  • Carer’s Allowance Supplement
  • Scottish Child Payment
  • School Age Payment

If you would like more information or support, please contact the Tenancy Sustainment Team on 0330 303 0089 or

Applications Open For School Age Payment

Eligible parents of children aged 4 and 5 are being encouraged to apply for financial support worth over £250.  This one-off payment can be used for anything from a new pair or shoes or arts and crafts materials.  You can claim any time from 1 June 2021 to 28 February 2022.   

The School Age Payment is open to families who get tax credits or certain benefits and have a child who was born between 1 March 2016 and 28 February 2017. Use this link to check if you are eligible Check if you can get the School Age Payment - Citizens Advice Scotland

To claim you can: