The purpose of this policy is to outline our processes to how we manage asbestos in our properties.
The following principles govern the operation of this policy:
- We recognise we are responsible for complying with The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, in particular Regulation 4, the management of asbestos in non-domestic premises e.g. common stairs/closes, corridors, lifts, common rooms, laundries.
- We recognise our responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and our duties to properly inform all tenants, staff, agents and contractors of the presence of asbestos within our domestic and commercial properties where work activities are likely to disturb materials containing asbestos.
- We recognise we have a duty to ensure the safety of our tenants.
- Horizon staff who have a duty to manage asbestos related work are trained and competent to conduct the role.
The policy will be implemented using the following approaches. We will:
- Devise asbestos procedures for compliance with the policy.
- Review our asbestos procedures at least every 3 years.
- Provide employees with the training and guidance needed to implement this policy. Procedures and other reference materials will be kept up to date and accessible at all times.
- Monitor adherence to policy requirements and procedures.
- Maintain an Asbestos Register.
- Prepare an Asbestos Action Plan and review this annually.