Waste Management Policy
The purpose of this policy is to provide a clear statement of Horizon's policy on the management of waste in all buildings owned by Horizon.
The policy is essential in ensuring the health and safety of our employees and of others who may visit or work on our premises. The policy has been developed to ensure that all waste is managed across its housing stock and commercial premises, in accordance with the relevant legislation with a view to zero waste.
The following principles govern the operation of this policy:
- Horizon is responsible for complying with the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 and is committed to working towards zero waste.
- Horizon recognises the waste hierarchy, as set out in the European Waste Framework Directive as a key cornerstone of the Scottish Government’s Zero Waste Plan and the Waste (Scotland) Regulations and will wherever possible apply the aims Article 4 of the Directive which sets out the hierarchy for dealing with waste as:
- (a) prevention;
- (b) preparing for re-use;
- (c) recycling;
- (d) other recovery, e.g. energy recovery; and
- (e) disposal
- Horizon also recognises its responsibilities under the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and its duties to protect the health, safety and welfare of all their employees.
- Horizon recognises that it has a duty to ensure the safety of its tenants as well as others on their premises including visitors and the general public and ensuring adequate provision for the safe disposal of waste is considered integral to this.
- Horizon is registered with Scottish Environmental Protection Agency to carry waste for disposal purposes.