Mobility Scooter and Electric Wheelchair Policy
This policy provides information and guidance for the safe use and storage of mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs within Link Group’s housing with communal areas.
The aim of the policy is to reduce the hazards to safety of tenants and visitors to Link Group Properties whilst ensuring we are committed to promoting independent living.
The policy will be applied retrospectively to take account of the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 and the co-operation of existing tenants will be sought in implementing the requirements of the policy.
The following principles govern the operation of this policy:
• Be aware of and take account of tenants’ needs, views and priorities when carrying out Risk Assessments in relation to the use and storage of mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs.
• Clearly define levels and standards to staff and customers
• Be fair, equitable and non-discriminatory
• Be aware of and responsive to changing standards, statutory and regulatory requirements and recognised good practice, in particular the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005.
• Promote accessibility and inclusion by taking account of adaptability when delivering our services.
The objectives of this policy are to provide:
• Clearly define the responsibilities of tenants and Link in relation to the safe use and storage of mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs
• Clear guidance to staff and tenants on the use of powered mobility scooters and wheelchairs.
• Provide information to staff and tenants about the classification of mobility scooters.
• An overview of the approach to providing storage facilities and of funding options available to support the provision